Chair, Department of Public Health Sciences
Ruth Gaare Bernheim is Associate Director of the University of Virginia's Institute for Practical Ethics and Public Life and an Associate Professor of Public Health Sciences, as well as Director of the Division of Public Health Policy and Practice in the School of Medicine's Department of Health Evaluation Sciences. In the past she has co-taught Germs, Guns and Lead: Public Health Ethics and Law with professors Richard Bonnie and James Childress, International Health Law with Professor Thomas Massaro, and a Seminar in Ethical Values with Roberto A. Gomez and Andrew Wicks.
Gaare Bernheim earned her law degree at the University of Virginia in 1980 and went on to get a Masters in Public Health in 1993 at the Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health. Gaare Bernheim then worked as a Professor in the School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins from 1994-99 and became Associate Director of the Johns Hopkins Bioethics Institute in 1995, serving in that position until 1998.
- MD-PBHS Thomas Jefferson Health Department's Mobilizing for Action using Planning and Partnerships
- Project Sponsored By: Thomas Jefferson Health District
- 03/15/2007 - 06/30/2012
- Award Amount: $4,900.00
- Commonwealth Public Health Training Center
- Project Sponsored By: Eastern Virginia Medical School
- 09/01/2010 - 08/31/2011
- Award Amount: $77,500.00
- Bachelor of Arts (BA), College of Notre Dame
- Doctor of Law (JD), University of Virginia
- Master of Public Health (MPH), Johns Hopkins University