How to Apply
Undergraduate students from across the University may apply for entrance to the Global Studies - Global Public Health major in January of their second year. We will begin accepting applications from the Class of 2023 in January 2021. Applications are due by 11:59 PM on Monday, March 1, 2021. Applicants may apply to no more than two of the tracks offered in Global Studies. The admissions committee will complete their review and send notifications to applicants by March 12, 2021. All accepted students must declare the GPH major by April 1, 2021 in order to reserve a place in the major.
Newly admitted transfer students who will begin their third year in the fall semester can apply for entrance to the major in May, as soon as they have been notified of their admission to the University. We will not accept transfer applications after June 1; students will be notified of the result of their application by June 5.
Applicants should complete all required documents described below, submitted in a single pdf.
Policy on Double Majors
Students may double major in Global Studies and other majors across the University, including students studying in the Schools of Architecture, Commerce, Education, Engineering and Public Policy. Students are not permitted to double-major in Global Studies and any other College major that requires an application. (These include American Studies, Modern Studies, Poetry Writing, Human Biology, Echols Interdisciplinary Major Program, Media Studies, Neuroscience, Philosophy Honors, Political and Social Thought, Politics Honors, Political Philosophy, Policy, and Law.) You may apply to multiple College majors, but if you are accepted into Global Studies and another application-based College major, you must choose one or the other. You can, however, major in Global Studies and participate in the distinguished majors program of another department.
You will need the following documents in order to complete your application. Once you have them prepared, email your materials in a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are applying to more than one track, please be sure to email each application separately.
1. PERSONAL STATEMENT: No more than 500 words, typed and double-spaced, that answers the following questions:
- Why are you interested in entering the Global Public Health track of the Global Studies major?
- What is your proposed area or particular topic of study within the major, and how would you support that area of study with courses, research, etc.?
- Your future plans and professional goals
2. TRANSCRIPT: An unofficial one that you print from SIS is sufficient.
3. RESUME: Include important extracurricular activities, work experience, academic honors, and other relevant experiences.